Helena invented this smoothie during a recent Viva Detox Program, and it’s our guests’ newest favorite!
This recipe is made with dandelion greens, although the dandelion can be replaced with another bitter green. Dandelion greens can be purchased in most organic produce markets, but sometimes you need to ask! Dandelion is one of the most potent and nutritious leafy greens nature provides, not to mention that it aids digestion, reduces swelling and inflammation, eczema and acne.
This recipe takes one extra step to make, so grab a bunch of green grapes and a fine sieve, and get ready to fall in love…
- Knives for chopping
- Vitamix or strong blender
- fine sieve
- large mixing bowl or pitcher
- one large bunch of fresh Catalonia (dandelion) or other strong greens
- 2 cups of green grapes
- 1 celery stalk (leaves included)
- 1/4 sunflower seeds (preferably soaked or sprouted)
- 2 apples
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
- 3 bananas
- 1 bunch (approx 7 leaves) of butter lettuce or another light lettuce
- 2 cups of water
- Combine all ingredients with the exception of the bananas and the lettuce in a blender. Blend until thoroughly mixed, adding additional water if needed.
- Carefully pour the entire mixture through a fine sieve into a pitcher or bowl, allowing the fibers to remain in the sieve.
- Pour the juice back into the blender, adding the bananas and lettuce. Blend thoroughly.
- Add 1/2 cup of ice during the last 20 seconds for a refreshing smoothie.