Ever wonder what to do with all of that leftover green pulp when you’re juicing? Now that we’re doing the Gerson Therapy, which requires 13 juices a day, we’ve been looking for creative ideas for the remaining juice fibers. The following recipe is the result! VOILA…Gerson Bergers!
This recipe was designed to meet the requirements of the Gerson diet, but adaptations can be made and are marked with an asterisk.* At Viva Institute, we always strive to make all of our recipes with 10 ingredients or less, and this recipe lends itself well to substitutions and additions. Start with this basic recipe and add your favorite spices…have fun!
Gerson Burgers: Viva’s Veggie Patties
- 2 cups of green pulp (remaining from juices) OR
- * finely process at least 3 of the following greens in a food processor: escarole, chicory, romaine lettuce, kale, or spinach. Press the mixture with a large spoon over a fine sieve to remove excess water.
- 1/2 cup red onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped (or halved grape or cherry tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- * 1/2 cup flax or chia seeds, OR
- * 1 cup ground cooked lentils (NOTE: beans and seeds are NOT on the Gerson diet, and this recipe works just as well without them).
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Drizzle of flax oil (Gerson) or *olive oil. Add more as necessary to hold ingredients together.
- Add seasoning to taste. (For non-Gerson eaters: curry, Himalayan salt, cumin, or chipotle seasoning.)
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Form into 4 medium-sized patties.
- Vegan option: bake in a glass dish at 250-300F for 20-30 minutes (depending on desired consistency).
- Raw vegan option: dehydrate at 118 F for 8-10 hours.
- Serve with a big green salad and your favorite side dishes. Delicious when topped with No-Bean Hummus.