Topic: “Light Worker — have you forgotten your mission?”
Thursday, August 7 at 8 pm EST
Phone number: (425) 440-5100
PIN Code: 954713#
To submit a question for Kirk in advance, click here.
Host: Leigh Hopkins, Viva Institute
During this 30-minute live call, Viva Institute’s Leigh Hopkins will talk with inspirational speaker, teacher, and author Kirk Nugent about his mission to inspire others to find their passion and purpose. Leigh and Kirk will discuss the topic of “Lightworkers,” and what it means to remember your mission in a world that can often distract your from your calling.
“Lightworker — have you forgotten your mission?” –Kirk Nugent
To submit a question for Kirk in advance, click here. Space is limited; submit your questions by 12 noon EST on August 7.
To listen to Kirk Nugent’s spoken word poetry, “Answer the Call (I Need You to Remember), listen below.
About Kirk Nugent
For more than a decade, Kirk Nugent has served as a catalyst for change, challenging preconceived notions about success and self-actualization. Kirk started public speaking in poetry venues where he displayed a keen understanding of social and political issues delivered with his signature brand of infectious wit and frenetic energy.
Early audiences crowned him “The People’s Poet,” and the stage was set for Kirk to widen his speaking base to include college campuses, key note addresses for Fortune 500 companies, church ministries and empowerment workshops. He has spoken at venues across the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia and the Caribbean.
Kirk continues to impact the lives of people from around the world with public speaking engagements, and live appearances, as well as with his books, The Unpopular Truth and Answer the Call, and also his two disc audio set, Pursue Your Passion.
Kirk celebrates his Jamaican heritage, which has fostered in him the global perspective of “Out of Many One People.” This perspective is a relentless endorsement of the idea that no matter where you are in the world, the innate right to chase your dreams unites all individuals. This is the philosophy which guides Kirk’s speaking engagements, and inspired Les Brown to proclaim, “Kirk is a poignant speaker who challenges us to step out in faith towards our dreams.” His ultimate aim is to help ordinary people create extraordinary lives.
In honor of Worldwide Forgiveness Day
This meditation is provided as it was told to me by Jon Peris, who lives in Abadiânia, Brazil (home of John of God).
The Bus Theory
The “Bus Theory” is the simple process of sending love to all who we have encountered in our lives, either incarnate (alive) or disincarnate (deceased). This exercise is done alone in meditation, so you do not need for the person to be present in order to experience the healing benefits.
Imagine that you’re a bus driver, and you have the ability to place anyone you want on your bus. Begin by visualizing/envisioning all of the people who are closest to you, including those who have passed. One by one, as they get on board, hug them and thank them for what they mean to you.
You can seat peope wherever you’d like — it’s your bus.
Now invite/welcome people who have only been in your life briefly to join you on the bus, and thank them as well. Invite them to take a seat, and place them wherever you’d like to.
Then invite the people you or other people have had a conflict with. Greet them with a hug and say:
“Thank you for being in my life and teaching me what I needed to learn.
God bless you. I love you.” *
Consider the possibility that everyone you have met and everything that has happened to you in life was agreed upon, by you, before you were born. As you do this exercise, you will find that more and more people will come to mind. Where you place them in the bus may change the more you do this meditation.
* The Hawaaian tradition of Ho’oponopono has a similar approach, which includes repeating the same four phrases: “I love you; please forgive me; I am sorry; thank you.”
How it Works
Here’s an example of how this works in practice, in Jon’s words:
I explained The Bus Theory to a woman while we shared breakfast. She said, “I will do that in meditation before lunch.”
Lunchtime arrived, and as she came in, she said, “I tried that meditation, and I placed my sister in the front rows. It was not possible to hug her during the meditation -– she kept pushing me away.
I told the woman: Keep trying.
A few days passed…[the next time I saw her she said] “I’m going home. I’ll see you when I return to Abadiânia next time.
When the woman visited the next time, she came straight to me, saying: “You will not believe it! When I saw my sister at the airport, she hugged me, and I was able to do the same…it worked!”
Do you believe that it’s possible to shift a relationship for the better without directly communicating that person? Must forgiveness and acceptance of ourselves be part of the process? Is it possible to heal a relationship simply by working on forgiveness, acceptance and love in your own heart?
Do you have a forgiveness story to share? Tell us about it in the comment section.
It must be the July heat. Recently, people have written me to say:
I feel so stuck.
My problems feel too big.
I don’t know how to explain it, but right now I just feel so small.
Does it feel like a relief to know that this is common? And that sometimes, it’s really OK to feel sort of blah — maybe even necessary?
Unfortunately, one of the catches of the “new spirituality” is that we’re led to believe that if we do the right thing, life won’t be as hard. The reality is that sometimes, life is just ho-hum and other times, it’s really, really hard. No amount of rationalizing, positive affirmations, meditations, or The Secret-like Post-It note-leaving, “I AM POWERFUL” statements are going to work.
There’s a voice hiding inside you that’s shouting, “Shut it, sister — save your New Age sunshine for someone else!”
During a recent road trip, I imagined what might have happened if Thelma and Louise had gotten a flat. Right at the moment when they were parked on the edge of the cliff, and Thelma looked at Louise with that wild look in her eyes and said:
“Let’s keep going.”
While I love Thelma and Louise, the implicit message is that if we haven’t felt fulfilled as parents or partners or professionals, or if we’ve been broken and stomped on and abused, it might be that the best option is to just hang it up. Seriously?!
Do you know what would have happened if you were Thelma and your BFF/partner/kid was Louise? You would have kept going.
One way or another, you always do. Don’t you? You stomp it out, cry it out, and remind yourself that eventually, things will get better. Then you wake up, put one foot in front of the other, and you keep on going. You find your way back to who you are with renewed perspective, a sack full of silver linings, and when you’re ready — maybe even some fresh inspiration.
You are not apart; you are a PART.
There is no hole; you are WHOLE.
Keep going, Bright One. You are mightier than you know.
Looking for inspiration?
Listen to Viva Institute’s live interview with inspirational speaker and author Kirk Nugent next week on Thursday, August 7 at 8 pm EST. I’ll be talking to him live on VIVA Radio — call-in information coming up next week.
For some rut-shaking FUN, join Viva Institute’s 3-week e-course, Flight School: Mediumship for Modern Mystics. Class begins August 11. Register now.
To reboot your spirit through plant-based foods, sign up for 30 Days Raw: Viva Institute’s Online Raw Food Course. Class begins August 25, go raw September 1. Register now.
- Read The Passion of Artemisia, by Susan Vreeland.
- Watch SLOMO on Vimeo at least twice this week. Repeat as often as necessary.
- Cloud gaze for 5 minutes without stopping, then go for a walk. Repeat as often as necessary.
- Click to Tweet: You are not apart; you are a PART. There is no hole; you are WHOLE.
Leigh Hopkins is the Director of Viva Institute.
Are you a Modern Mystic? If you can relate to more than half of the characteristics on this list, there’s a good chance that you are.
- You see messages in everything.
- You discover that serendipity and ‘coincidence’ are everyday occurrences.
- Before making an important financial decision, you talk to your accountant, your retirement planner, and your spirit guides.
- When faced with an obstacle, you ask yourself “What is the true meaning of this situation?” You judge it as neither good nor bad, and actively look for the big picture lesson within the experience.
- You order palo santo wood in bulk.
- You actively seek time in nature so that you can converse with the plants, trees, and animals.
- You set stones and crystals in the window during a full moon, carry sage spray in your purse, and a pendulum in your wallet.
- You have no enemies, only teachers.
- You live with your feet on the earth and your head in the heavens.
- You stop someone from speaking so that you can listen to the voices in your head.
- When a 4-year-old tells you, “In my last life, I was a doctor,” you answer: “Would you mind having a look at this lump?”
- You understand that choosing kindness and compassion can often be both the most difficult AND the easiest choice in every situation.
- You never again wonder “if something is wrong with you” because of how you experience life. You know. You remember.
- You know that the answer is in the question.
- You understand Divine Order — that whatever happens, all will be well.
- You know that there are no right answers.
- You have inner peace, or quickly return to a place of inner peace, because you know down to your core that this life is only one dimension of reality.
- You know that there is so much more to you than your physical body, or this reality.
- You have moments where you see beauty in everything and everyone, and those moments begin to fill more and more of your time here on earth.
- You know that there is life before and after this one.
- You embrace your Past and plan for the Future, knowing that true peace comes from being fully Present.
- You know there is no beginning or end.
Based on this list, are YOU a Modern Mystic? Viva Institute’s 3-week e-course, Flight School: Mediumship for Modern Mystics, was created for the purpose-driven, committed, soulful, passionate, curious and discerning truth-seekers like you. It’s about reconnecting with the intuitive part of yourself that knows that there is something that you came here to do. Learn new tools and ignite your unique spark. Then you can FLY.
“I think we should all open our minds and our hearts to magic.”
That’s what actress Emma Stone told David Letterman on the Late Show on July 16 . She went on to describe some of the paranormal and metaphysical experiences she’s had throughout her life, including her deceased grandfather leaving her quarters in unusual places.
Even better? David Letterman shared some stories of his own!
Are people waking up, or is it just human nature to look for someone to hold our hand on the mystic’s journey?
If you’re ready to walk that road, join Viva Institute in August for the next session of Flight School, Viva Institute’s 3-week Summer Camp for the Modern Mystic! It’s a chance to fully embrace the intuitive part of yourself that knows that there is something important that you came here to do.
Embrace your inner mystic.
This recipe for crispy, crunchy RAW onion rings is a super-healthy alternative to the deep-fried version. They’re a perfect “to-go” recipe for summer picnics, and are delicious when paired with other healthy recipes like Portobello Burgers or as a salad topper.
NOTE: If you’re raw vegan you will need a dehydrator to make these. If you don’t have a dehydrator, try baking them in the oven on the lowest setting for about 20-30 minutes.
- 2 medium-sized sweet onions
- 3-4 cups of almond milk (enough to cover the onions)
- 1/2 cup of ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup of ground brewer’s yeast OR 1/2 cup of ground sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 t. chipotle, smoked paprika, or turmeric
- Cut the onions into slices and place in a bowl or Ziploc bag with almond milk to soak. Set aside for about 2-3 hours.
- Grind the flax seed in a dry blender or coffee grinder (it will be about 3/4 c after grinding), then place in a food processor and blend with remaining ingredients.
- Drain the almond milk from the onion rings, reserving the milk in a bowl for dipping. Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Begin by dipping an onion ring in the milk, then dip in the dry mixture and place on the dehydrator or baking tray. Continue this process until all of the onion rings have been thoroughly coated; re-dip in the milk and re-coat, if necessary.
- Dehydrate at 110 degrees for 5-10 hours, depending on the level of crispiness you like. If you don’t have a dehydrator, try baking them in the oven on the lowest setting for about 20-30 minutes.
- HINT: Dipping can get sticky! Try placing half of the processed dry ingredients in a large bowl first, and when those are gone, add more dry. This prevents the mixture from becoming too clumpy.
- Store in Ziploc bags or a dry container.
READY TO TRY RAW? Join us for 30 DAYS RAW, Viva Institute’s online raw food class.
Try this savory recipe when you’ve been invited to a summer BBQ and want to bring a healthy alternative.
These Portobello Burgers can be eaten raw, dehydrated, baked or grilled, and they pack well, so you can make them a day in advance if you’re on the go. Serve with onion rings and a green salad.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3/4 cup of fresh Vegan Basil Pesto
- sliced red peppers, tomatoes, or olives (for the topping)
After de-stemming the portobello mushrooms, fill each cap with a generous helping of basil pesto. Add sliced peppers or whatever toppings you’re craving. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 4-5 hours or bake at 200 for about 30 minutes, until juicy.
Will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Tonight marks the launch of VIVA Radio, a new 30-minute LIVE program brought to you by Viva Institute. For the first show, we’ll be talking about “Meditation Snacks,” a name I use to describe short, 1-3 minute meditations that can be done at any time during the day when you’re in need of connection, clearing, protection, or revitalization. During this show, you’ll learn 5-6 new meditations. I’ve invited some of my favorite practitioners to share their techniques.
At 8 EST TONIGHT, call (425) 440-5100.
Pin Code: 954713#
NOTE: only the first 40 callers will join the call live.